What is monkeypox?
A pandemic that was eventually found in monkeys gave rise to the remarkable infection known as monkeypox. Monkeypox is an illness caused by a virus. Monkeypox was officially declared in 1958, but the first human case was first documented in 1970.
Symptoms and signs
Symptoms and signs usually start between five and thirteen days after the virus infection and last for three weeks. They will include:
- Muscle ache
- Inflamed glands
- Joint pain
- Blistering rashes
- A rash can be at the lips, genital or anal area, palms, soles of the feet, and face.
How does monkeypox spread among humans?
The most known method of transmission in the past was by contact with an infected animal's body fluids or a bite. During the 2022 outbreak, scientists discovered that the virus spread from person to person by:
- Direct contact with monkeypox blisters.
- Touching an infected personal item.
- the sneeze and cough droplets.
- A woman holding her unborn child.
Who is at risk of getting monkeypox?
People with immune system impairments like HIV, eczema, the elderly, and young children may also be more susceptible to serious illness.
By using PCR on a viral swap obtained from one or more blisters, we can identify monkeypox.
The following additional samples should be collected:
- A throat sample.
- An EDTA tube with a blood sample.
- A sample of urine.
Treatment of monkeypox
Most people with monkeypox recover on their own in a matter of weeks. Tecovirimat, an antiviral, may be suggested for people who are at high risk following consultation with a healthcare practitioner.
Take the following steps to prevent getting monkeypox:
- Avoid close contact with people who have a rash.
- Avoid touching objects of people having monkeypox.
- Isolate people with monkeypox if they are family members.
- Wash your hand with soap and water or use alcohol sanitizer before eating or touching your face.
- Do not go near wild animals.
Vaccination to protect against monkeypox
Monkeypox is caused by a similar virus to smallpox. The smallpox vaccine should give a satisfactory level of protection against monkeypox.
In conclusion, monkeypox is not a serious disease, and we do not have to worry about it. However, in some people, an infection can lead to medical complications.
يجب تسجيل الدخول لإضافة تعليق